In my last post, I touched on eating colourful foods to celebrate the energy of our various chakras. A few of you mentioned you would like to know more about the chakras, so in this post, I will outline the basic 7 chakras, which colours represent them, and what they represent in your life whether balanced or un-balanced.
Let’s start from the very beginning, shall we? A chakra is an energy centre. We have seven main chakras that are commonly spoken of, but many more that extend further below, and above us. Each chakra represents an energy centre in our body and controls various states of consciousness or feelings– this can be in a positive way, when balanced and open, and energy is flowing, or it can give us negative feelings or illness when imbalanced or blocked. Basically, chakras act as a meeting point between our consciousness and our bodies.
I will start from the bottom and work upwards, from root to crown chakra.
Here is a helpful image that shows where each chakra is located and the colour that represents them.
The Root Chakra
- Colour: Red
- Location: The base of the spine
- Relates to: Our most basic survival needs. This is the most physical of the chakras and represents our animal instincts for survival and fight-or-flight. It represents our roots to the Earth, and is our grounding force.
- When open: We feel confidant that we can fulfill our needs for survival
- When blocked: We feel anxious and worried, and lose our connection the Earth
- Crystals: Black tourmaline, hematite, onyx, garnet
The Sacral Chakra
- Colour: Orange
- Location: Pelvic area
- Relates to: Our creativity, pleasure, and sexuality.
- When open: We can be creative; make music, generate great business ideas, be passionate and energetic
- When blocked: We feel a lack of creativity, and a sense of emptiness
- Crystals: Orange carnelian, orange calcite
The Solar Plexus Chakra
- Colour: Yellow
- Location: Above the Navel
- Relates to: Self-confidance, self-esteem, will power, and personal power
- When open: We feel confidant, and have a sense that we can manifest our desires
- When blocked: We feel anxious, worried, have low self-esteem, and feel powerless
- Crystals: Citrine, tiger’s eye, yellow jasper
The Heart Chakra
- Colour: Pink and green
- Location: The heart (the midpoint between the Earth and our high Consciousness)
- Relates to: Compassion and love
- When open: We feel connected to all things around us and see the Divine in all people
- When blocked: We feel alone and disconnected, and may be judgemental of others
- Crystals: Rose quartz, aventurine, watermelon tourmaline, malachite
The Throat Chakra
- Colour: Blue
- Location: The throat
- Relates to: Communication and self- expression
- When open: We can express our true selves without fear, we are truthful
- When blocked: We hold in our true emotions because we feel anxious about what other people will think. We censor ourselves.
- Crystals: Turquoise, kyanite, angelite
The Third Eye Chakra
- Colour: Indigo
- Location: The third eye
- Related to: The centre of insight- where all information and intuition meet. This is where our spiritual awareness, psychic abilities, and intuition come from.
- When open: We trust our inner wisdom, and know that it guides us in the right direction
- When blocked: We feel distrustful, and doubt our own intuition.
- Crystals: Lapis Lazuli, azurite
The Crown Chakra
- Colour: Violet
- Location: Crown of the head
- Related to: Higher consciousness, enlightenment, the level of the soul
- When open: Recognizing the connection of all things being one, fulfilling your highest potential, living in the now
- When blocked: Sense of depression, spiritual disconnection, no sense of purpose in life
- Crystals: Amethyst, white calcite, clear quartz
I hope this has helped clarify the basics of chakras. If you have any questions, pleas ask in the comments below, and I’ll do my best to help you out!
From my own experience, I’ve had great success with using citrine on a necklace. It hangs in the solar plexus area, which is perfect. I literally always have a good day if I wear my citrine necklace. It does improve my confidence, and self-esteem and lessen any anxiety.
I hope that you can recognize within yourselves which chakras may be unbalanced, and use whatever you can to bring them back into balance. I really recommend crystals, though. You can find out how to purchase, cleanse, and set an intention in your crystals here.