Another way to take advantage of all the amazing fall squash. I got this recipe from my friend Sophie, in Belgium! I love how protein packed this chili is for a vegetarian chili- all the goodness of two kinds of beans, and quinoa! The squash was a great addition in this hearty, warming, and filling meal!
Butternut Squash Quinoa Chili
- 1 large red onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 550g of butternut squash, cubed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 100g quinoa, soaked in cold water for ten minutes and drained
- 1 750ml can of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 empty tomato can filled with water
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can other beans (I used black soy beans, but you could use more kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans, etc.)
- a handful of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- olive oil
In a large pot, heat 2-3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft, stirring frequently. Add chili powder and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add quinoa, butternut squash, tomatoes, and water. Stir. Cook for about 25 minutes, lid on. When the chili is thickened and almost ready, stir in beans. Add more water it you want it thinner. When serving, add cilantro. Optional: add some grated cheese. Enjoy!
And I said that I would share my Halloween costume, so here it is. I was a Chinese take-out box lol! I hope you all had a great Halloween 🙂