I love soup, and pea soup is one of my favourites. It’s light, healthy, and easy to make. I am especially fond of pea soup after one of my recipes for it was published in a cookbook!
I made pea soup the other day, and the recipe I used was very similar to my own Spring Pea Soup. The difference was that for once, I had fresh peas on hand! I always make soup with frozen peas, but thanks to the garden this year, I had a huge bag of fresh peas to use! I topped the soup off with a dollop of Greek yogurt for a bit of extra creaminess, and it was so tasty. I would like to try this chilled, too, but so far have only had it steaming hot!
On another note…is anyone around Vancouver going to check out VegFest this year? I sure am!!
Simple pea soup using fresh peas and herbs with an extra kick of ginger
- Extra-virgin olive oil - 1 Tbsp (15 mL)
- Yellow onions - 1/2 cup (125 mL), diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, finely minced
- Ginger root - 1 Tbsp (15 mL), peeled and grated
- Vegetable stock - 3 cups (750 mL)
- Fresh hulled peas - 4 cups (1 L)
- Fresh mint - 2 Tbsp (30 mL), finely minced
- Himalayan sea salt and freshly ground white pepper - To taste
- Plain Greek yogurt, optional -
- Fresh chives - For garnish