This month’s recipe for the Drop Dead Clothing blog was a rich and creamy Cheezy Vegan Nacho Dip. This is the perfect way to get your queso fix without any dairy, and with lots of sneaky vegetables. The base of the dip is made up of cashews, carrots, and onions. With just a few other flavourful ingredients you are ready to blend everything together, top with your favourite salsa and get ready to serve! It couldn’t be easier.
This month’s recipe is as simple as it gets- just a few ingredients quickly sautéed and then blended together to create rich, cheezy queso dip. Queso dip, or nacho cheese dip is usually a whole lot of dairy melted together but this vegan version is dairy-free of course, and contains some sneaky healthy ingredients like carrots, cashews, and nutritional yeast.
Most vegans will be familiar with nutritional yeast, as it’s often used to add a “cheesy” flavour to things. If you’re new to using nutritional yeast (or “nooch”) start with just 2 tablespoons or so in this recipe. The taste might take a bit of getting used to, but once you start using nooch, you will be hooked!
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup cashews soaked 30 minutes, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2-4 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ cup salsa
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, and carrots and cook until onions are translucent and carrots are softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a blender combine the onion/carrot/garlic mixture and the remaining ingredients except salsa.
- Blend thoroughly until mixture is smooth. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you could try a food processor first. Stir in ¼ cup salsa. Place in a serving bowl and top with the remaining ¼ cup salsa, and some chopped green onions or cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!