Mango Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing
The other day I went to a potluck with a group of girl friends (see below! <3 ) and we were doing an Indian themed meal. We had two different kinds of curry, rice, salad and plenty of wine. My contribution was the salad and I had to wrack my brain for the perfect salad to accompany curry. In the end, I decided that something sweet and tangy with just a hint of spice would be the answer.
There are so many different textures and colours in this salad! Creamy avocado, sweet mango, crunchy bell peppers all on a bed of tender mixed greens. Let’s not forget the flavour-packed pepitas (pumpkin seeds) that you can make in just minutes. The dressing is a sweet and citrusy honey-lime flavour with just enough crushed red pepper flakes for a hint of spice. Of course you can add more if you’re braver than me….I’m a spice wimp! If you’d like to make this vegan, simply use maple syrup instead of honey in the dressing.
My friend Janet showed me a great little trick for slicing mango. Cut it into thick strips and use the edge of a tall glass to separate the pulp from the skin!
All of the awesome Indian food we had made me even more excited for my upcoming trip to India. I hope I can squeeze in a cooking class and pick up some great spices!
A recipe for a refreshing mango salad with honey-lime dressing and spiced pepitas.
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more if you want!
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup raw pepitas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 312 g mixed greens (11oz)
- 1 mango diced
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup toasted pepitas see above
- honey-lime dressing to taste
- Whisk together all ingredients until emulsified. Set aside.
In a frying pan over medium heat, toss the pepitas and olive oil together.
Sprinkle with remaining ingredients and stir until evenly coated.
Toast the pepitas for about 5 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, toss all salad ingredients together dressing is evenly distributed. Enjoy!
Can’t make this tonight? Pin it for later!