Mmmmm….Alaskan Black Cod is one of my favourite kinds of fish. To me, it tastes like butter- just decadent and rich! I’ve only really had it in a miso based sauce before, so when I saw this recipe for it using a red coconut curry sauce (looove coconut curry!), I knew I had to make it.
Alaskan Black Cod in Thai Red Coconut Curry (adapted from here)
- 2 tablespoons butter (preferably from grass-fed cows)
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into quarters lengthwise, then sliced crosswise
- 1 small red or green bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk (unsweetened), shaken well
- 1 1/2- 3 tablespoons red curry paste (start with 1 1/2 tbsp, but taste-test and adjust accordingly- you may need more depending on the brand used)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut palm sugar, to taste (optional)
- 4 dried kaffir lime leaves
- 2 or 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews (optional)
- 1 to 1/2 pounds wild-caught cod fillets (I used 1 large fillet)
- sea salt
Heat butter in a heavy saute pan over medium heat. Saute the onions and red bell peppers until they are very soft, 5-10 minutes.
Add Thai red curry paste to the onions and peppers and stir well over the heat to mix. Pour in the coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce (if not used to make curry paste), palm sugar (if using), and kaffir lime leaves. Simmer over low heat, uncovered, for around 10 minutes so the flavors can blend and the broth can reduce slightly.
In the meantime, rinse the cod with cold water, pat dry, and lightly season with salt. Fold the thinner parts of the fillets underneath, so the fish is relatively of the same thickness. Place the cod fillets in the saute pan, and nestle them into the broth as much as possible. Simmer on low, covered, for 8-10 minutes, until the fish flakes easily. During the last minute or two of cooking, add chopped cilantro and toasted cashews (if using). Serve hot, with a spoon to capture all of the broth. Enjoy!
On another note….today Blink-182 is in town and my bf got me FLOOR TICKETS for my birthday!!!!! I’m so excited for the show!!